WAXHAW – The Marvin Ridge Mavericks will play for a boys lacrosse state championship March 27 at Cardinal Gibbons High School in Raleigh after defeating Weddington 7-6 in the regional finals.
The Mavericks (14-3) will play the East Chapel Hill Wildcats (10-4) in the 1A/2A/3A title game.
Marvin Ridge (No. 5) defeated Patton 18-5 in the first round, Lake Norman Charter 16-7 in the second round and Charlotte
Catholic 5-4 in the third round.
Their showdown against Weddington pit the state's two best programs over the past five years. Marvin Ridge won the title in 2016 while Weddington claimed the championship in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Last season was canceled due to COVID-19.
Marvin Ridge was among eight area teams to make the boys lacrosse state playoffs.
In 1A/2A/3/A action:
• Weddington (No. 10) defeated Bishop McGuinness 13-2 in the first round, T.C. Roberson16-4 in the second round and Northern Guilford 13-7 in the third round before losing to Marvin Ridge.
• Charlotte Catholic (No. 9) defeated Christ the King 17-3 in the first round and Mt. Tabor 20-2 in the second round before losing to Marvin Ridge.
In 4A action:
• Ardrey Kell (No. 2 seed) fared the best, defeating Green Level 19-7 in the first round and East Forsyth 15-6 in the second round. The Knights lost to Lake Norman 16-11 in the third round.
• Myers Park (No. 11) defeated Green Hope 17-3 in the first round but lost to Lake Norman 13-1 in the second round.
• Porter Ridge (No. 7), Providence (No. 12) and South Meck (No. 13) lost their first round games.