Several south Charlotte teachers will participate in the 2012 class of excellent teachers affiliated with the Teaching Fellows Institute at Charlotte.
The program is a non-profit organization whose mission is retaining high-performing teachers in the professions of teaching and education. The program honors, engages and inspires its participants through a week long summer institute and continues to engage the teachers with alumni development and events throughout their careers, to encourage teachers to excel in their fields.
Only 22 public school and eight private school teachers were chosen this year from a strong pool of nominations.
The following south Charlotte teachers are 2012 Teaching Fellows:
• Beverly Woods Elementary: Elizabeth Layne Garner, kindergarten
• Charlotte Christian: Dawn Craddock, social studies
• Charlotte Country Day: Jessica Flaxman, English
• Charlotte Latin: Stirling Sullivan, mathematics
• Charlotte Preparatory School: Alyssa Harrigan, language arts
• Crestdale Middle: Andrew Cambruzzi, physical education
• East Mecklenburg High: Kathryn Heinen, chorus
• Providence Day School: Erin Bolden, fifth grade
• Sharon Elementary: Jane Ireland, kindergarten and first grade
• South Charlotte Middle: Melissa Matusiak, math